Serves 4 to 6 (12 to 15 fritters)
These versatile fritters make a great summer appetizer or a side dish to roast or grilled chicken or pork. While these are best with fresh corn, you could use thawed frozen corn kennels in a pinch. If you don’t have marinara on hand (though you should!), you could serve these with a garlic mayonnaise.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 medium zucchini, grated on the coarse holes of a box grater
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup grated Grana Padano
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Warm marinara sauce, for dipping
Heat an inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet to 365 degrees F. Wrap the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and wring out the excess liquid.
Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of black pepper. Whisk in the egg and milk to make a smooth batter (but don’t overmix). Break up the zucchini if it’s in clumps and add to the bowl. Add the corn, Grana Padano, scallions, and parsley. Stir just to combine.
Use a soup spoon to add the batter to the oil, without crowding. Fry, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Remove fritters with a spider or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with any remaining batter. Season the fritters with salt and serve with the warm marinara for dipping.