This salad was one of the first dishes that brought the taste of contemporary Italy to Italian American restaurants, but it stands the test of time today. It’s a great base for additions, from walnuts and pine nuts to different cheeses and cold cuts, such as salami or turkey, and even fish, such as tuna, shrimp, or poached whitefish.
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 2 small heads radicchio, cored and leaves torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 heads endive, cored and sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small wedge young Provola, for shaving
Put the greens in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar and toss well to coat all of the leaves. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Shave the cheese over top with a vegetable peeler, toss gently and serve.