This salad is easily doubled for a larger crowd. It can be made a few hours ahead, but add the eggs right before serving so they don’t cloud up the dressing. It is great for buffets or barbecues, or as an appetizer for summer dinner parties, and makes a fantastic lunch as well.
- ¼ cup drained capers in brine
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes (varied sizes and colors), cut into 1-to-2-inch chunks, or halved if cherry tomatoes
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, cut into rough chunks
In a large serving bowl, combine the capers, anchovies, shallot, parsley, and salt. Whisk in the red wine vinegar, then the olive oil.
Add the tomatoes, and toss to coat in the dressing. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to let the tomatoes give up their juices. Just before serving, gently toss with the hard-boiled eggs.