This is a refreshing salad, particularly in the summer months. Do play with the different kinds of string beans available in season. I love the flat Roman green varietal, but a mixture of green and yellow wax beans is delicious. This base salad can be enhanced to become a main course by adding canned tuna or sardines. It is also a great way to use leftover grilled fish or chicken.
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the pot
- 1 pound string beans, trimmed
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup drained tiny capers in brine
- 2 tablespoons -red--wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons -extra--virgin olive oil
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the string beans, and blanch until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain, and rinse to cool slightly.
Shred the basil. Put the string beans in a bowl, and toss with the capers and basil. Drizzle with the vinegar and oil, and season with the salt. Toss to coat, and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.