Serves 4 to 6
Potato salad is a summer staple and this one is light yet hearty. Serve a scoop on a bed of greens for a light lunch or serve alongside grilled chicken or pork at dinner. You can make this salad a day ahead, but let it come back to room temperature before serving.
- 2 pounds baby potatoes, halved crosswise
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces slab bacon, diced
- 3 hot pickled cherry peppers, seeded and slivered, plus 3 tablespoons brine from the jar, plus more as needed
- 3 stalks celery, chopped, plus 1/2 cup inner celery leaves
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or dill
Put the potatoes in a large saucepan with salted water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, adjust the heat to simmer, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, let cool for a few minutes in the colander and transfer to a serving bowl.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until just crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. To the skillet, add the cherry peppers and cook until sizzling. Stir in the brine. Pour the warm dressing over the still warm potatoes in the serving bowl. Add the celery and scallions and season with salt. Toss well. Taste and add a little more brine, if needed. Add the celery leaves and parsley or dill, toss again, and serve warm (at room temperature).