This is the salad to make when you find young, tender, chokeless baby artichokes. Don’t attempt it if the artichokes are tough or past their prime. If needed, substitute Jerusalem artichokes, washed well and thinly sliced. If you don’t have a mandoline, use a very sharp knife and thinly slice the artichokes by hand
- 1 lemon
- 12 ounces baby artichokes (about 6)
- 3 stalks celery, very thinly sliced, plus 1/2 cup inner leaves
- 3-ounce chunk Grana Padano, grated on the coarse holes of a box grater
- 6-ounce chunk mortadella, cut into matchsticks
- 6 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Juice the lemon into a large serving bowl, and set aside.
Trim the stems, tough outer leaves, and tops from the artichokes. Halve them, and thinly slice on a mandoline into the large bowl with the lemon juice, tossing as you go. Add the celery, cheese, mortadella, and spinach. Drizzle with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well, and serve right away.