- ¼ cup -extra--virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 8 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (button, shiitake, cremini, and chanterelles)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bunches of scallions, trimmed and roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1¼ pounds sea scallops, foot or side muscle removed
- -Good--quality balsamic vinegar
- Tradizionale Balsamic Vinegar is best for drizzling (optional)
In a large nonstick skillet, over -medium–high heat, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic, and once the garlic begins to sizzle, add the mushrooms and season with ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until the mushrooms wilt, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Add the scallions, thyme, and butter, and cook until the mushrooms are tender, another 3 or 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and keep warm.
Wipe out the skillet, return it to -medium–high heat, and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Season the scallops with remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, and cook, turning once, until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve on mushrooms, drizzled with balsamic vinegar if desired.