Makes 2 6-inch sandwiches
Sausage and broccoli rabe are a marriage destined to last. Often served with pasta, most commonly orrechiette, this recipe is for quick, easy, hearty sandwiches with some greens in them.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ pound sweet Italian sausage without fennel seeds, removed from casing (about 3 sausages)
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed, tough stems peeled
- ¼ teaspoon peperoncino flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Two 6-inch lengths Italian bread, split and lightly toasted
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the sausage, and cook, breaking into small crumbles with the back of a wooden spoon, until sausage is browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the broccoli rabe, peperoncino, salt, and stir. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli rabe is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet if necessary.
Place Italian bread on plates, and top with the sausage and broccoli rabe. Serve hot.