SERVES 8 TO 10 AS A SIDE
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, sweet potatoes, olive oil, garlic, thyme, and salt.
Spread the potatoes and sweet potatoes on a rimmed sheet pan (or two if necessary, depending on the size of your pan; you want them in one layer). In a measuring cup, whisk the lemon juice with ½ cup water. Pour this over the potatoes. Roast on the bottom rack, tossing by scraping with a spatula a few times, until the potatoes are golden on all sides and have soaked up all of the liquid, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove garlic and serve immediately.
This recipe is easy and delicious for those big family meals, but it can easily be cut in half.