These pears can be served warm, as is, but are also delightful with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream on top.
Recipe from Lidia’s Italy at Home magazine.
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups seedless green grapes
- ½ cup mixed dried fruit (apricots, figs, prunes, cherries, whatever you like)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons mixed berry jam
- 3 firm but ripe Bosc pears, quartered lengthwise, cored
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the peel from 1 lemon with a vegetable peeler. Juice both lemons.
Place the grapes and dried fruit in an 11 x 13 inch baking dish. Combine the sugar, lemon juice, wine, vanilla bean and jam in a bowl and stir until blended. Pour over the grapes. Nestle the pears, cut side up, into the grapes.
Bake until the pears are tender and the liquid around the grapes is thick and syrupy, about 50 minutes. Remove the pears and let stand for about 10 minutes. Remove and discard the lemon peel. Serve them with some of the grapes and dried fruit and their liquid spooned around them.