- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 pound fresh peas, shelled about
- ½ cup finely chopped celery, including leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups Chicken Stock (page 74) or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup or other Italian short-grain rice
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Heat the olive oil and butter in a 4- to 5- quart pot over medium heat until the butter is foaming. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring, until light golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the peas and celery, season the vegetables lightly with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat, Adjust the heat to simmering and cook until the peas and other vegetables a very tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in the rice and cook until tender, 12 to 14 minutes, stirring occasionally. (For a firmer texture, cook the rice a few minutes less.)
Remove the soup from the heat and check the seasonings, remembering the cheese will add a little saltiness. Stir in the grated cheese and serve immediately.