Makes 2 sandwiches
This sandwich was my grandfather’s favorite sandwich for merenda, the midmorning snack. My grandmother would use the prosciutto scraps with bits and pieces of fat, and when there was no prosciutto, she would use pancetta.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 ounces prosciutto, sliced, cut into thick shreds
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 crusty rolls, lightly toasted
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Scatter in the scallions, and let cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the prosciutto and cook until crisp around the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Beat the eggs with the salt, pour into the skillet, and cook until just set but still a little wet, about 2 minutes. Remove the skiller from heat, and season eggs with freshly ground black pepper. Serve on the toasted rolls.