I found versions of this dish on menus across America, Italian and non Italian. I guess everybody loves the appealing flavors of this dish. It is delicious with frozen peas but I recall as a child, my grandma making it only with the sweetest first pods of peas. I also remember that it was my job to shell them and I ate quite a few of those raw peas. Pine nuts make any dish Italian.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (1 pound) bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, pancetta and onion. Cook until pancetta is rendered, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add the peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and peas are tender and flavored with the pancetta. Stir in pine nuts. Cook and toss for a minute, then serve.