Serves 6 to 8
I love growing a variety of beans in my garden and this salad is a wonderful opportunity to use them. You can use this mix or whatever pole beans are available at your farmer’s market. Add boiled eggs, canned tuna, or leftover roast chicken and this side salad becomes a meal.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 8 ounces yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas or another variety of summer pole bean, trimmed
- 1/3 cup drained capers in brine
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the beans and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking and chill. Drain the beans and pat very dry.
Transfer beans to a serving bowl and add the capers. Drizzle with the vinegar and oil. Season with salt and a generous grinding of pepper, remembering that the capers are salty. Toss well. Roughly tear the basil leaves over top, toss, and serve.