SERVES 4 TO 6 AS A SIDE
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the pot
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 ½ pounds green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a pot with 3 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes, and cook until they just begin to become tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the green beans, and cook until the potatoes and green beans are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes more. Drain well.
Put the green beans and potatoes back in the cooking pot. Season with the salt and the olive oil. Use a potato masher to mash the green beans and potatoes together. Serve immediately, topped with freshly ground black pepper.