- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the pot
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks (about 1 pound)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound linguine
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup freshly grated Grana Padano
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. To a large skillet over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Cook until the onion is wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, and season with the salt and red pepper flakes. Cover, and cook until the zucchini has wilted a bit, about 3 minutes.
When you uncover the zucchini, add the pasta to the boiling water. Raise the heat under the zucchini to medium high, and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Cook and toss the zucchini until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the shrimp and basil. Cook and toss until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add ½ cup pasta water, and simmer while the pasta finishes cooking, for a minute or two.
When the pasta is al dente, remove with tongs and transfer directly to the simmering sauce. Drizzle with a little olive oil, and toss to coat the pasta with the sauce. Remove the skillet from the heat, sprinkle with the grated cheese, toss, and serve immediately.