To make this dish different, try changing the salad to arugula, frisee or tender, young fresh spinach leaves.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- ½ pound mesclun salad or assorted baby greens such as arugula, spinach, Lolla Rossa, washed and spun dry
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Provolone cheese, or other medium-soft cheese, such as Fontina or mild Vermont cheddar
In a small jar with a tight fitting lid, shake the lemon juice and olive oil together until blended. Pour the dressing into a large bowl.
Cut the apple into quarters, cut out the core and slice the quarters very thin. Toss the apples and salad with the dressing. Add the greens to the bowl sprinkle them with salt and pepper and toss until they are coated with dressing.
With a vegetable peeler, shave the cheese into thin strips over the salad. Toss again to mix the cheese into the greens. Divide the salad among 4 salad plates and serve immediately.