This salad can be prepared several hours ahead and refrigerated; serve cold or at room temperature. It’s a crunchy and refreshing recipe, but to make a more substantial dish you can add shredded cooked chicken, or salami and ham, cut into julienne slices. The Italians love their salads, and will often turn their salad into a meal course, especially in the summer, by adding some proteins. It is a clever way to use leftover chicken or fish.
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, sliced ¼ inch thick on the bias, plus ½ cup inner celery leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large colander, toss the cucumbers and red onion with the salt. Let drain in the sink 30 minutes, to purge the excess water.
Rinse and drain the cucumbers and onions well, and pat dry.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey. While continuing to whisk, pour in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream to make a smooth dressing. Add the cucumber and onions and celery and leaves. Toss to coat with the dressing. Taste, and season with salt and pepper. Toss again, and serve.