SERVES 4 TO 6
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the pot
- 3 large red potatoes, cut into 1½-inch chunks (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into ¼-inch-thick half-moons
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes, and simmer until about halfway cooked, about 10 minutes. Add the green beans and cook until potatoes and beans are tender, about 5 minutes more. Drain in a colander.
When the beans are just cool enough to handle (you want them still to be warm for the dressing), “French” each bean by pulling it apart at the seam into two long pieces, with the seeds exposed.
In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar and oil and season with the salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, green beans, cucumber, and red onion. Toss well to coat the vegetables in the dressing, and serve.