- 4 ounces Gorgonzola, at room temperature, or 6 ounces Taleggio (because rind will be removed)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 12 cups mixed baby greens
- Red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil, for dressing the greens
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Crumble the Gorgonzola into a medium bowl, and mash with the cream. Lightly shape into six balls; they should just hold together, not be compacted. Chill while you roll the pastry.
On a floured work surface, roll out the pastry sheet to slightly thicker than ⅛ inch. Using a bowl with a 5-inch diameter as your guide, cut six rounds from the pastry.
Put the rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
Remove rounds from the refrigerator, and put a cheese ball in the center of each. Brush the edges with the egg, and fold each into a half-moon. Press or crimp with a fork to seal. Brush the tops with more egg. Bake until puffed, browned, and crisp, about 12 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. When ready to serve, toss the greens lightly with vinegar and olive oil in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Serve the baked cheese puffs on plates with a side of dressed greens.