For 1 pound pasta
- 8 to 12 tablespoons (1 to 1-1/2 sticks) butter, to taste!
- 10 fresh whole sage leaves
- Hot water from the pasta cooking pot
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano
Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat, lay in the sage leaves and heat until the butter is sizzling gently. Toast the leaves for 1 minute or so.
Ladle in 1 cup boiling pasta water ; stir the sauce and simmer for about 2 minutes and reduce liquid by half before adding pasta. Grind the black pepper directly into the sauce.
Keep the sauce hot over very low heat; return to a simmer just before adding pasta
Finish cooked pasta and sauce in the skillet. Off the heat, toss in the cheese just before serving.