I prefer tuna packed in olive oil—which is usually darker and more flavorful—for this dish. If you cannot find it, or if you prefer the milder flavor, use chunk light tuna, packed in oil or water, as you prefer.
- Bruschette (see here)
- one 6-ounce can of tuna in olive oil, drained
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/3 inch cubes
- ½ medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Tuscan hot peppers in vinegar, drained, seeded and chopped or 1/4 cup chopped pimiento in vinegar
- 8 fresh basil leaves, washed, dried and shredded
- Salt to taste
Crumble the tuna into a mixing bowl and add the tomatoes, onion, Tuscan peppers and about 3/4 of the basil leaves. Season with salt and toss well. Let stand. Prepare the bruschette. Spread the tuna mixture over the bruschette and sprinkle them with the remaining shredded basil. Serve immediately.