Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces slab bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio or other Italian short grain rice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 to 7 cups hot chicken stock or water (Chicken Stock Recipe)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated Grana Padano
- Photo Credit: Armando Rafael Moutela, Courtesy of WGBH
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Then add the bacon and cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon begins to crisp, about 3 minutes.
Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. Cook until the rice grains are somewhat translucent, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the white wine and cook until absorbed. Ladle in enough hot stock to cover the rice. Simmer until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock to cover as it is absorbed until the risotto is barely al dente, about 16 minutes from the first addition of liquid.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Whisk in 1 cup of hot stock. Stir into the risotto make wisps of scrambled eggs. Stir in the scallions to wilt, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat, stir in the grated cheese and serve immediately.