Crunch-crunch-crunch will end up as munch-munch-munch when this salad is served. Flavor is obviously crucial in food, and certainly this salad has flavor, but tactile sensation is also a very important factor in our food perception and appreciation. We want pasta al dente, celery crunchy, bread grilled. This salad has a lot of texture to enjoy.
- 3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, cut on the bias into 1-inch-thick slices
- 2 apples, skin on, cored, sliced into thin half-moons
- ½ cup walnut pieces, toasted and chopped
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and salt, and season with black pepper. Whisk in the olive oil in a steady stream to make a smooth, emulsified dressing.
Toss the endive, apples, and walnuts together in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the dressing, toss well, and serve immediately.