Serves 4 to 6
I like serving this salad while the vegetables are still warm, but it is also delicious chilled, especially if you are hosting a buffet or a picnic. The important thing is to dress it just before serving, since the lemon juice will change the color of the vegetables.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the cooking water
- 2 bunches medium-thick asparagus, trimmed, lower third of stalks peeled (about 2 pounds)
- 1 bunch medium leeks, white and light-green parts, halved lengthwise
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cut the peeled asparagus into thirds, crosswise. Cut the leeks in thirds crosswise as well. Add the asparagus and leeks to the boiling water, and cook until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, depending on their thickness. Drain, and plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking and set the color. Drain and pat very dry.
Put the asparagus and leeks in a serving bowl. Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil, and season with the salt. Toss well. Mound the asparagus and leeks on a serving platter, and scatter the hard-boiled eggs over the top.