Serves 4 to 6
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch rings
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons marsala or brandy
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, separated, plus 1 egg white
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a medium Dutch oven to 365 degrees F. Toss the apple rings in a medium bowl with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the marsala or brandy, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Let macerate while you make the batter.
For the batter, whisk the flour, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla in a spouted measuring cup. Pour into the dry ingredients and whisk just to combine. Stir in the melted butter. Whisk the egg whites, with a mixer or by hand, until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, keeping it light and airy.
Dip apple slices into the batter and let the excess drip back into the bowl. Fry the apple slices, in batches, until crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar while still warm and serve immediately.