This is one of the simplest zuppa recipes. For the stock, I prefer capon or free range chicken stock. However, beef and vegetable stocks can also be used. You may use canned broth or bouillon when others are not available.
- Cheese Toasts (see above)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups Meat Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Prepare the Cheese Toasts. Place one in the bottom of each of six deep soup crocks. In a medium-size saucepan bring the stock to a boil over high heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the stock over the bread in the crocks. Sprinkle with parsley and the remaining grated cheese. Serve immediately.