Makes 2 (6-inch) subs or 4 rolls
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced 1⁄2 inch thick
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 (6-inch) lengths Italian bread, split and toasted or 4 crusty rolls, split and toasted
1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage. Cook, crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook until wilted and lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
2. Beat the eggs in a bowl with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. When the peppers and onions are wilted, pour the eggs into the skillet and cook until just set, but still a little wet, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; the eggs will finish cooking off the heat.
3. Pile the eggs on bread or rolls and serve immediately.