- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for cooking the farro
- 1½ cups farro
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 large red onion, cut into ½-inch rings
- 2 small Italian eggplants, sliced lengthwise into ½-inch-thick strips (about 1 pound)
- 2 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, sliced into 1-inch-thick strips
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pitted large green olives, quartered
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farro and bay leaves. Simmer until farro is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well, and spread on a sheet pan to cool and dry out while you cook the vegetables. Remove bay leaves from farro.
In a large bowl, combine the onion, eggplants, and bell peppers. Toss with 5 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
Grill vegetables, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
When all the vegetables are grilled, cut the onion and eggplant into 1-inch pieces; leave the peppers in strips.
In a bowl, combine the farro, grilled vegetables, olives, parsley, and pine nuts. Drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the vinegar, and the remaining teaspoon of salt. Toss well to combine. Serve.