Well, I ate my way through Baltimore. Crabs were to be had in many ways. It was Spring and soft shells were on every menu as were crab cakes, crab cocktails and crab salads. Most of them had some version of tartar sauce, ketchup-cocktail sauce or remoulade served with it. I just got a yearning for a crab salad Italian style, so without much ado, here is one that mimics a lobster salad they make in Sardegna.
- 1 1/2 cups thin bias-cut inner stalks of celery and leaves
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, seeded, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat, picked through for shells
Mix the celery, eggs, tomatoes and parsley together in a large bowl. Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil, seasoning with salt. Toss well, to coat the salad with the dressing. Add the crab meat, and toss gently to combine, without breaking up the lumps of crab.