MAKES ABOUT 12 CROSTINI, SERVING 6
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons drained tiny capers in brine
- 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 12 ounces chicken livers, trimmed of fat and membranes, halved
- ½ cup dry Marsala
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 slices Italian baguette, grilled or toasted
To a large skillet over low heat, add the olive oil and the shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Increase heat to medium high, and add the capers and sage. Once they begin sizzling, add the chicken livers. Toss and cook until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes; then add the Marsala. Season with the salt, and cook until the Marsala is reduced by half, about 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in the butter, remove from heat, and let cool.
When the chicken livers have cooled, purée the mixture in a food processor until almost smooth (a few chunks are okay). Spread on the grilled or toasted bread, and serve.