- 1 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen peas, defrosted and drained
- 1 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Prosciutto di Parma or San Daniele, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1½ pounds ripe fresh plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and crushed (see page 000) or 2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes (preferably San Marzano) with their liquid, seeded and crushed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 pound bucatini or perciatelli pasta
If using fresh peas, parboil them in a small saucepan of boiling salted water until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain them and set aside. Trim the tough ends and wilted spots from the mushrooms. Wipe them clean with a damp paper towel or wash them quickly and dry them well. Slice them thin and set aside.
Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whack the garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife and add them along with the prosciutto to the oil. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, season them lightly with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until they are lightly browned and wilted, about 7 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes, season them lightly with salt and pepper and bring the sauce to a boil. Lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir the peas and chopped parsley into the sauce and cook until the peas are tender, about 3 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, stir the bucatini into the boiling water. Return to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook the pasta, semi-covered, stirring occasionally, until done, about 10 minutes.
Drain the pasta, return it to the pot and pour in about three-quarters of the sauce. Bring the sauce and pasta t0 a boil, tossing to coat the pasta with sauce. Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if necessary. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the grated cheese. Transfer the pasta to a warm platter, top with the remaining sauce and serve immediately.