- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 sweet Italian sausages, removed from casings (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces shredded Taleggio or Fontina, plus 2 ounces thinly sliced
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Grana Padano
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- Four ½-inch-thick slices day-old country bread, about 4 by 6 inches, halved
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. To a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and celery, and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
Add the white wine, and adjust the heat so it simmers rapidly. Cook until wine has reduced away, about 2 minutes. Scrape into a medium bowl and let cool completely.
When it is cooled, add the shredded Taleggio, the grated Grana Padano, and the ground fennel, and toss well. Arrange the sliced bread on a baking sheet, and top with the sausage mixture. Top that with the sliced Taleggio. Bake until edges of the bread are toasted and the cheese is browned, about 7 minutes.