- 2 lemons
- 24 small artichokes (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
Remove the peel from the lemons with a vegetable peeler. Squeeze the juice.
Clean the artichokes and be sure to plunge them into the acidulated water as you work.
Drained the cleaned artichokes thoroughly. Choose a pot large enough to hold the artichoke snugly side by side. Arrange the artichokes cut side down in the pot. Pour the olive oil into the pot. Scatter the garlic, parsley, mint, and lemon peel over the artichokes up to but not over the base of the stems.
Add the salt and red and black pepper, cover the pot loosely with the aluminum foil, and bring to a boil over high heat. Adjust the heat simmering bad cook until the artichoke hearts are tender and about a third of the liquid is left, about 30 minutes. Let the artichokes cool to room temperature in the cooking liquid.
Serve at room temperature with some of the cooking liquid as a sauce.