Blue-cheese dressing over iceberg lettuce is common in steak houses around America. This is the Italian counterpart: fresh fennel with a Gorgonzola dressing. When you have some unfinished Gorgonzola in the refrigerator – because the longer it sits, the stronger it gets – think about making this salad dressing.
- 8 ounces Gorgonzola dolce, rind removed, crumbled
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons -white--wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons -extra--virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 medium bulbs fennel, halved, cored, shaved on a mandoline
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
In a mini–food processor, combine the Gorgonzola, heavy cream, buttermilk, vinegar, oil, and salt. Pulse to make a chunky dressing.
In a large bowl, toss the shaved fennel and parsley. Drizzle the dressing over the contents, and toss well.