This salad is not only delicious by itself but also a great platform for smoked meats or fish; it works well with trout, salmon, duck breast, and ham. Serve the proteins alongside the salad and you have a great appetizer or meal. It is a sandwich stuffer as well; instead of using mayonnaise or other fatty dressings, use this juicy salad. It is especially good on a sandwich of sliced turkey, chicken, or ham.
- 3 large carrots, peeled and julienned (about 2 cups)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, skin on, julienned (about 3 cups)
- Juice of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Toss the carrots and apples in a salad bowl with the orange juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with the parsley, season with the salt and pepper, and toss again. Serve cold.